Sunday, July 27, 2008

Scary Room

  Ever been freaked out while your suppose to be having a nice peaceful get-away? Let me tell you a little story.
The boys (Dave, Jake and Riley) and I went to Knoxville Thursday night to visit my sister. We ran around Friday... ate at the Tomato Head... shopped around Market Square and then capped the day off with a nice dinner with 15 family members at Litton's. If you've ever spent any quality time in K-town then you know it's a great place.  They have burgers the size of mars... the cookies are even bigger.
 Saturday morning I got my haircut at one of my favorite places and had lunch with the girls. During all this Dave and I decided at the last minute to spend Saturday night in the mountains and let my parents keep Jake for the night. Now remember this is all last minute. So we headed to the Smokies around 4:30 in search of a room. ALMOST EVERYONE WAS BOOKED.
We finally found a room at a place that will remain nameless. But here's the catch they only had a super suite available. After hours of looking...we just didn't care and took it. The guy on the phone was so surprised when I said we'd take it. I should of known then. 
OK.. brace yourself.   This is what we got.
This room was a thousand square feet. That closet looking thing to the left is actually a sauna.. there's the hot top and that couch faced a wall that had a movie screen that came down...see that projector hanging from the ceiling. Weird..huh? To the right was this..

a hallway and yes.... waaaaay down there next to the lamp was the bed.
The room was desolate, scary and hadn't been updated since the 80's.

Dave and I are self-confessed hotel/motel snobs. Like almost everyone I grew up staying at Holiday Inns and Best Westerns but somewhere along the way I learned to prefer more.
We stayed because it was clean and it was late.  I kept trying to keep Dave out later and later after dinner so we wouldn't have to go back to what we called the death room.  It just felt like something from a horror movie. I was seriously freaked out and even had Dave block the door with a chair in case Freddy or Jason decided to come in. Now we just laugh about it. 

So to sum it up... I learned a lesson. Always carry a DVD with you in case your room has a movie screen.

3 comments:

Aunt Mary said...

Oh Jen, that is TOO funny!!!
It looks like a very nice room, a bit on the large side, but still nice. Did you try out the sauna and hot tub?

I also wanted to tell you "Thank you" for keeping us up-to-date on Jake's progress. I look forward to your posts. Y'all are in my prayers every day. Give my love to your boys.

Aunt Mary

Anonymous said...

Jen we have all had our share of "scary rooms"!
Once when we went to the Outer Banks we had driven all we could that night, decided to to stay in Rocky Mount N.C. Well of course there were no rooms to be had at any thing we would want to stay at. We found a room finally BUT we were the only white people staying there. Now I am not like that but come on what would you do? Well I sat up with a hand gun in my hands while the boys and Dad slept for 3 hours and then I got everyone up and we left.

Jim Urban said...

Hey, just wanted to drop a line to say hi to everyone. I was reading a book ( yep, in the bathroom) and I came accross some phrases that I would like to share, " Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go" Joshua 1:9
Yes, this is from a book titled " The World's Best Bathroom Book", how about that, I just needed to share this with you.
Love to all, Jim U.