Thursday, May 8, 2008

He Has What??

   I'm starting my blog by writing about something I'd never even heard of until Tuesday.
Now it's my new passion. It's called Williams Syndrome and my 6 month old son has it.
It's a condition that explains a lot of the issues we've been having with him. So in a way it's a relief that it has a name. 
  I feel like there's so much you all should know...but don't know where to start.
 So first meet the Joy of our lives...Jacob


Doesn't he just make you smile!!
   What I want you to know is that Jake has heart problems. He has aortic and pulmonary valve stenosis. That means his valves are somewhat closed making his heart work harder.
Until Tuesday we thought it's just one of those things...now we know it's  a result of Williams Syndrome.  His cardiologist expects balloon surgery at some point to open the aortic valve back up. So far ...so good with the pulmonary side of things.
  What else you should know is that people with Williams Syndrome are not like everyone else.
Although they usually do great with reading and music... the majority have some sort of mental retardation. Five percent don't...and we pray that we are part of that five percent.
Here's the link to the Williams Syndrome Association website. (www.williams-syndrome.org)
I am hoping my family and friends will learn about WSA so you can understand our precious baby boy.
   He is our perfect gift from God.
    Don't get me wrong...we would have never have chosen this but we know God chose it for us...so who's to argue with the creator.
Dave and I are doing pretty good. We've had our crying spells and it's all felt like a dream for a day or two.  But we choose joy and we choose God. We are totally committed to Jake and ready to give him the best life possible.  For our family: we can't tell you how much your love and support means to us. Just keep us in your prayers as we begin this journey... we know you will.

4 comments:

mammy said...

Jenny what a wonderful thing you have done!
I love you so much! Your not just a daughter-in-law, your Our daughter and we love you so much.
David and Jacob are so lucky to have you in thier lives. So are we. I'll never forget the first day I met you. I was folding clothes in our bedroom and David hollered from the back door "Mom".
Jacob has a very special family. He will never be without.
As we all become more informed on WS we can help the 3 of you through your journey.
After David called us Wed. night we got on line to see what was what. I know we have alot more to learn. We'll go on this journey together.
Love you
Your Mammy

mammy said...

Jen, You know me once I get started! I forgot to tell you what a wonderful picture you posted of you and Jake! I LOVE it!
David your audio was great too!
Jacob you are a Blessing because you know who i talked to tonight? Your Great Aunt Mary that's who! We both love you!

Anonymous said...

Jenny-
Know that you, David, and the little one are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Brandon, Mary Beth and Claire.

Anonymous said...

Jenny-
Know that you, David, and the little one are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Brandon, Mary Beth and Claire.