Monday, December 14, 2009

He's so good.

Jake never fails to surprise me. Just when I think I know his limits, his challenges and his strong points.. he proves me wrong.

For about a year and a half the White house has struggled with bedtime. He is extremely hard to put to bed. He figets. He squirms. He fights it. I mean.. we would rock him for two hours some nights. I always wanted to let him put himself to sleep, but because of his heart condition we couldn't let him cry. So...Dave and I took turns. Whoever felt most calm each night got to put JAke to sleep.

That is until... this week.

Mama bear had enough. Daddy bear was gone. And baby bear's heart is fixed. So the sleep training began. Jake and I read our books. Said our prayers. Rocked for 1o minutes and I put him to bed. Do you know that little booger was asleep in about 45 minutes with only crying once?

The next night it took him 30...and the next 20.

I can't tell you how much happier this house is at night. Seriously, I feel like I've got my Christmas present already. Thank you Lord for letting my little boy succeed.

Now, If I could only get him to keep a blanket on at night. That just might take a miracle.


3 comments:

Melissa said...

They never cease to amaze us, do they? That is how it was with Katie and sucking her thumb. We kept telling her she could not paint her fingernails until she stopped sucking her thumb and I kept putting off knowing what a fight we had with my oldest child. Anyhow, we finally broke down and painted her thumb with the yucky tasting stuff. She knew it was gross and never sucked her thumb again. Like one day, "I can't go to sleep without it." The next day, "Thumb? What thumb?" It was indeed a sweet blessing too!

O:)
Melissa

Anonymous said...

My son couldn't stay under a blanket either. Try footed sleepers!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he's a lot like his mom was and just needed to be able to stretch out and get comfortable...whatever, bedtime sounds like it's a little more fun.